Summer is here and it’s finally time to embrace a tan – YAY! However, think twice before you jump under the sun without at least a 30 SPF, or before heading towards the tanning salon. Around 90% of the visible changes commonly related to aging are caused by the sun. Skin cancer is currently the most common of all cancers in the United States with over one million cases diagnosed every year, more than the total of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon. About 90% of non-melanoma skin cancers are associated with exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. So respect your body and fake a tan.
There are some great self tanners out there, so don’t worry about turning dirty orange. My favorite right now is DuWop Clear Revolution Shimmering Self Tanner. They have been bringing us beauty products with a twist for over 12 years. This cooling ice-blue colored gel contains extracts of arnica and calendula to not only give you an enviously glowing tan but also firm and tone your skin as you go. Who doesn’t love that! It’s scented with a tempting blend of essential oils, which leaves you smelling sweet and not milky. This product is everything you need to be beach-ready!
Self Tanning Tips
- Shave your legs the day before you self tan. It will exfoliate the top layer of skin, leaving a healthy new layer ready to tan.
- Exfoliate with a soft cotton washcloth before applying a self tanning lotion, as rougher nylon and loofah scrubbers can cause streaks.
- Put a little moisturizer on your knees, elbows, ankles, and the tops of your feet in order to prevent dark spots.
- To prevent staining of your palms, fingers, and fingernails, put some moisturizer on them first. When finished, wash hands really well making sure to get the nail-beds and in between your fingers.
- If you’re using self tanner on your legs, don’t forget to include your ankles and the tops of your feet.